Monday 14 May 2012

'Somewhere In England' - Bassingbourn Show - Review

I took time out from revising for a (Purchasing) exam on Saturday morning, and went down to Bassingbourn Airfield to attend a local 1940s show called 'Somewhere in England'. The aim of the show this year is to raise money to restore the WW2 Control Tower.
-
2012-05-12 ~ S2DSCF7828
-
Lots of lots of space at the show, with if I'm honest, not a huge amount there. The entrance price of £10 per adult seemed on the expensive side given what was there, £5 would have been more reasonable.  There were perhaps 20 vehicles, a few displays, 1 hot dog stall, about 16 trade stands, plus a band. The layout seemed poor to me, as the band were out on a limb somewhat, furthermore I'm reliably informed that the Tower and Museum were shut due to lack of staff, which seems nothing short of astonishing as you would have thought that these were the days when you really wanted it open !  Given the rubbish weather here in the UK recently (wettest April since records began in 1910), they were very fortunate as both Sat and Sun were clear and sunny.  I've decided to get myself some period gear to wear from time-to-time when I take my own CCKW truck to shows and I managed pick up a jacket for a quite a reasonable price.
Stand out vehicle for me was CCKW 353 with a .50cal mg and extra ammo boxes round the ring, although a black limo looked amazing, and the photo I took doesn't do it justice.  It will pop up in the slideshow below.
-


2012-05-12 Bassingbourn Show
-

No comments: