Back in issue 331 (May 2015) of Wargames Illustrated magazine, Dan Mersey looked at how to raise a Warband (which seems a more suitable title for this period than the medieval ‘Retinue’; your Leader is restyled as your Warlord) for your preferred Dark Ages nation using the Lion Rampant rules, and added a list of Boasts more suited to the Dark Ages.
As that issue now seems almost impossible to find, Dan has added an article to his web site about it: Link.
An intereting new feature and one that could be used be adapted to use in Dragon Rampant as well is:
New Upgrade: Holy Men & Banners
‘Holy Men & Banners’ special characters
- Available to: Any unit except for Skirmishers or Villagers; units containing your Leader may not take this upgrade.
- Cost: 1 point per unit.
- Maximum of 1 special character per unit.
- Special characters may not transfer between units.
- Replace one ordinary model in the unit with a special character. This special character moves, fights, and acts in all ways like any other model in the unit.
- Units with a special character gain +1 to all Courage tests (in the same way as, and in addition to, being within 12” of their Leader – see page 11 of the rulebook).
- Test for the death of special characters in the same way as Leader Lucky Blows.
- A player killing an opposing unit’s special character gains +1 Glory.