Saturday 31 January 2015

CCKW 352 - Truck Adventures - Update

A bit of a update on truck adventures in the last few weeks.  Always a bit reluctant to to start after being stood for a while, with the assistance of a few squirts of Damp Start (ether based) she will normally fire up.  After a failed attempt I cleaned the plugs and check the gaps, but didn't help, so it was clear that something was amiss.  As there was fuel in the filter the problem was probably electrical, although I did a have a spark at the points.  Having inspected the inside of the Distributor Cap I could see it was quite pitted so I thought I would replace that along with the Condenser and Rotor Arm as well for good measure.  A call through to Rex Ward sourced some replacements which turned up the next day :)
-

-
Fitting the new parts in turn, the old Condenser was the culprit, but just for good measure I still went ahead and replaced the Cap and Arm.
-
 -
It's two years now since I had the truck independently looked over, so I had arranged to take up to MV Depot at Helperby this week.  I want him to have all the wheels off, check all the brakes over and amongst other things change the fuel filter.  In preparation for the 20 mile drive I stuck some fuel in at the local Tescos supermarket and was happily driving it home when the engine spluttered to stop and I found myself broken down at the side of the road :(   Checking under the bonnet, the problem was obvious, fuel contamination...  See pic below.
-

-
Fortunately I subscribe to a recovery service through my insurers, so eventually I got recovered.
-

-
The following morning the truck was winch off at MV Depot, and he managed to get it going.
-

-
On the one hand I feel unlucky because it broke down just before the main fuel filter was going to be changed.  Sludge and water in the system would have become apparent then.  On the other hand I feel lucky that it broke down on a straight stretch where it didn't inconvenience anyone.  Given that I'd just driven right through the centre of York, if I'd broken 2 miles earlier in the middle of one of the major junctions it could have caused truly massive disruption...
-

No comments: