Sunday 28 April 2013

Drive It Day 2013

Each year The Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (FBHVC) encourages the members from affiliated clubs to get their classic/ancient vehicles out and about for one day.  Last year was the first time we had participated Link, and we decided to go out and about for a short drive this year as well.  The day started out with me retrieving the truck from where I have it currently stored and deciding to top the tank up with £100 worth of fuel.  I have frequented the local Tescos several times since we moved to York in Dec 2012 in my car, and felt that although tightish, the forecourt would be okay for the truck.  Biggggg error of judgement there !  It was busy, and after tanking up I had the devils own job manoeuvring around to get out without:
a)  crashing into multiple cars,
b)  destroying a newspaper stand,
c)  wearing out the thrust bearing on the clutch !

Anyway, back home I collected the family we drove to the nearby now semi-derelict WW2 bomber base of RAF Rufforth. This airfield at its height had over 1700 personnel on site when No. 1663 Heavy Conversion Unit (HCU) 7 Group Training Command was operating from their with, Halifax I / II / III / V, Stirling I, Oxford II, Spitfire Vb and Hurricane IIC aircraft.

Here's a photo of us at the bottom of one the surviving runways.  I've tweaked it using a program called Photomatrix which I find can produce some interesting results.  
-

-

-

No comments: