Saturday 2 June 2018

WHAT A TANKER! - Puma Outing

Had a fun game the club on Thursday.  Myself, Andy B and Simon A as the clean living Axis players took on John E and Theo as the Soviet peasants.

Andy took a Panther, Simon a Tiger I and myself a Sd234/2 'Puma'
Theo had a ISU152 and John took an SU100 and a KVIS
Due the points different the Axis had 5 cards (Andy had 1, myself the other 4)

Fighting over our usual 8' x 6' we had a reasonable amount of manoeuvre room for our 20mm / 1/72nd vehicles.

On the Axis side we decided to that the Panther and Tiger would concentrate on the ISU 152 whilst I tied up the SU100 and KV with my superior speed.   This cunning plan almost went badly wrong very early on the ISU152 spotted me in the open and successfully lobbed a huge shell my way.  Lucky rolling on my part meant I only took two damage which I was able to recover straight away with one of my cards.

I then powered into the town and with some good die rolling surprised the KV with a shot into its rear.  Annoying, due to its heavy armour (and bad rolling on my part) the round only lost the KV one command die.  He successfully reversed and firing back hit me the turret causing two permanent damage and damaging my optics (+1 to hit).

Meanwhile the Panther and Tiger and had been skirmishing with the ISU and shells were bouncing off all over the place.

Down to 4 command dice now and at the back of the gaming table I came round behind the ISU and with some good rolling banged a round into its flank knocking it out.  As it was almost midnight we ended what had a fun game at that point.

For those interested, the stats I used for the Puma were:


  • Armour Value:  3
  • Strike Value: 6
  • Slow Turret.  (it doesn't have a powered traverse).
  • Fast  
  • Fast Backwards.  [can go the same speed backwards as foward]   (has the same number of reverse gears as forward and a rear driving position). 
  • Wheeled.  [Cannot cross major obstacles, and if on a road can convert any die to a movement die, but must remain in the road, cannot rotate on the spot]
  • Total Points Cost: 10

-











7 comments:

vlad48 said...

thanks for the report.
can you report on the Armour and Strike dice you assigned to the Puma?

Vulture said...

Hi vlad48
I've amended my posting to correct that oversight. Armour 3, Strike 6 :)

Battlefield Pilsen said...

Same strike as sherman tank? i think it should be lower but thats mine 5 cents

Vulture said...

Battlefield Pilsen

I've given it the same Strike value as the long barrelled PIIIM, as they share the shame gun.

IIRC the penetration on the 75mm Sherman is only comparable to the German 50mmL60. The 75mm was a useful gun for throwing HE shells around, but the propellant cartridge was too small and the gun barrel too short to give at any sort of decent armour penetration.

Herkybird said...

Indeed, the 234/2 should be -Strike 5, the later(!) 2cm gun option (234/1) should be -Strike 4 (Rapid Fire), and the rarer 334/3 with the short 75mm -Strike 4, or the very late 234/4 long barreled 75 - Strike 6, as in this game

Herkybird said...

PS: I got it wrong, The 234/4 should be Strike 7- my bad!

Vulture said...

Herkybird
You mentioned in your posting above the 234/2 should be Strike 5, I'm thinking as it's the same gun as in the PzIIIM it should be a 6 :)