Friday 20 May 2016

Gaslands Game At The Harrogate Wargames Club

I've been intrigued by game being played at the club this last month.  Called 'Gaslands' it is described as a 'game of post-apocalyptic vehicular mayhem'.



It very much owes it lineage to the old 80s game Car Wars, a copy of which I'm sure I still have buried somewhere in my loft.  In this case the came uses actual cars and terrain, of which you have to supply both.  James D invited me to join in a game, and the week before I was given a small car to customise.  After some debate I painted it grey and black and added a rotary cannon to the roof :)  I mean, why wouldn't you ?  :)
-

 -
Can't say anything about the rules mechanics as they are in play-test, and will be eventually published (by Osprey in 2017 I understand).

The game itself was a 6 player affair, of three teams (two players in each).  The winner was to be the first to have a member of the team navigate round the board passing between all 4 'gates'.  It's fair to say that getting through the first gate was a major challenge with vehicles spinning off all over the place, frantically dodging each other, some getting rammed, some looking to ram etc ! I narrowly escaped getting wiped out by a complete manic in a bus !

Once through the first gate we were allowed use any vehicle weaponry.  This was the time to deploy the cannon (it seemed wrong not too...), so I managed to damage Gavin M's car several times.  I was ahead of him for a while, but then he managed to just nip ahead.  Before I could get past him his team mate James D rammed me, and my car was wiped out, so allowing Gavin M and he to win.

Overall quite an entertaining game.

A few pictures from early in the game are below.
-

-

-


-

-

-


3 comments:

Paul O'G said...

That looks like a LOT o fun!

Herbert West said...

That looks really interesting. On the car conversion, where did you get the weapons?

Vulture said...

Yes, quite a fun game, rules are still being refined I understand. The gatling cannon is a spare I had from extras you get with the Critical Mass Walkers. You can seem them on the models here: http://vultureswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/15mm-sci-fi-photo-shoot.html

I wanted to add magnets so that it could rotate, but I ran out of time. Perhaps when I do my next conversion... :)