Monday 2 April 2012

Visibility Sticks

As a modeller and gamer, over the years I have bought several vehicles that have had flimsy little sticks sticking up at the front of them, as seen on this Sdkfz251/7.
-

-
For long enough I wondered what they were, and found that inevitably they get damaged/broken off unless real care is taken.  I have now acquired some of my own and fitted them to the truck, although in real life they are a lot more substantial being made of metal rod. Visibility sticks are used as driving aids to help you judge the size of the vehicle.  In my case especially useful because of the winch (90ft of cable) which extends the length of the front by about 20".  Sat behind the wheel you cannot see the end of the vehicle, but with the sticks I can see the white balls, and better judge clearances.
-

-

-

1 comment:

inrepose said...

Smart use of those Balls. I think at 15mm scale you could get away with making them from stiff toot brush bristel. They would resist any bending.