Wednesday, 11 February 2009

15mm Sci-Fi Rules - Beamstrike


A couple of people have asked me what rules I currently use for my 15mm Sci-Fi gaming. Personally I'm a fan of the 'Beamstrike' rules, written by Neil Cooper. He has a dedicated web site, and in addition there is an active Yahoo web group with over 300 members.
'Beamstrike', a free, open source miniatures wargame developed for 15mm Science fiction figures. Inspired by 'Imperial Commander', Beamstrike rules are comprehensive, yet fast moving, there are ample examples of weapon systems, vehicles and equipment. You can use the background universe provided, yet the rules are generic enough to be used in your favourite science fiction setting.

2 comments:

dylan said...

Vulture,

Reading the Beamstrike material, it strikes me as quite complex and involving lots of die-rolling and chart lookups. How do you find it plays? What size forces are you fielding? Are you using many vehicles?

Vulture said...

Dylan

I agree there are quite a few charts in Beamstrike, although I’m not sure there are any more than other rule systems. The charts do have quite a lot of info in, to provide a lot of flavour to the game, in terms of weapon variation.

What I do, is print off a few copies of the Quick reference sheet, and then use a highlighter to pick out the weapons being used in that particular game. This can speed things up a lot.

Typically in an attack / defence scenario I might attack with 50 + troops with 8 vehicles against half to 2/3 of that number in defence. Normally I can complete that sort of game in 3 hours, no problem.

Hope that helps. If you have more questions, suggest visit the Beamstrike yahoo group, where there are some scenarios you can download that I’ve played.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Beamstrike_Sci-fi_Game/

Cheers

Vulture